Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 16, 2017

In Honor of My Irish Ancestors Part One

Original Post: [I am traveling to Virginia for a conference and researching for a client.  But I will also be researching my own family while I'm there.  Here's what I know so far.

Thomas CLARY, born 1630 in Ireland married in 1659 to Judith LATON, born 1634 in Ireland had a son (not the only child but the line I am from), John CLARY I born 1660 in Surry, Surry, Virginia.  Surry is southeast of Richmond.  He married a Sarah (or Sally) unknown maiden name and born 1662 in Europe.  They married and had several children; one being John CLARY II born 1684. Now he was born in Frederick, Maryland. I have  Now before I continue I should clarify about Maryland and Virginia.  In the 1600s there were no state lines drawn yet, so most of what we know as Maryland was actually part of Virginia.  If you do a search online there are maps available showing this.  So sometimes, as it happened to me, when I tried a search in Maryland for someone, I was able to find them.  You must research the period of time.  This goes for counties too.  Many county line have been redrawn over the years and some counties don't even exist anymore.  And if you want to go even further, towns.  Whole towns have disappeared and no longer exist.  
Back to my CLARYS:  John CLARY III wa born 1706 in Prince George's Maryland (At the time this was probably Virginia). (Records show a brother, William.  A will written by William Deveron states another brother, Daniel, married to his daughter along with John III).  He married Mary DEVERON in 1733 and had a son William Deveron CLARY.  William married Sarah SWEARINGEN in 1756.  they named one son John Swearingen CLARY born in 1759.  He married Susannah PRICE, who was born in 1765 in Tennessee.  Now here I had run into another issue when doing some online research.  I had come across someone else's research showing that John S. CLARY being born in 1859.  Well, it would not have been a big deal but his death was a matter of record being 1823 so obviously someone fat fingered a date.  So be careful when you are transcribing and abstracting your information.  Someone else may publish that misinformation and it will just continue being passed around.  Double check!!!
John and Susannah had several sons:  John Allen, William Price and Zachariah.  I am of the line of Zachariah.  Though if you follow the CLARYS you will find that they have now moved to Illinois.  Here the CLARYS, ARMSTRONGS and GREENES are very well known.  I don't have all the documentation but this is the part of the family which owned and sold a store in Clary's Grove, Illinois where Abraham Lincoln was known to have grown as a young man.  If you want to know more about that, google Clary's Grove.  I think I will pause here and post more later.]

No comments:

Post a Comment