Total Pageviews

Friday, March 17, 2017

UPDATE! Clarys in Virginia

ORIGINAL POST: [As I look further back in history searching for the details of my ancestors' day-to-day life, I wonder if I could have lived the way they did.  I have a fear of the unknown and they had alot of unknowns!
Thomas and Judith arrived in America from Ireland and migrated to Virginia, UK (at the time) with their families.  They met and married and began to raise a family.  Their four children; John, Thomas, William and Ann were all born in Surry County, Virginia.   Though Thomas and Judith moved to Maryland, Thomas and William lived and died in Surry County.  Don't know yet if Ann stayed in Virginia.  John Clary also moved to Maryland, where he married and raised his family.
Some of the Clarys moved to Brunswick County, Virginia and some moved on west to Tennessee, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma and eventually my direct line; to Nebraska.  Having been a military wife to a man who was raised in the military, I thought we moved too frequently!!  I am working on mapping my families' migration paths and it should be interesting to see how they have crossed across this country.]

UPDATE: My trip to Virginia was fruitful and surprisingly emotional. When I floated across the James River on a ferry, accompanied by my youngest son, I had an overwhelming feeling of melancholy and awe. That we were in the same places as our ancestors and if they hadn't lived and survived, we, me and my sons, wouldn't be there at that moment.

We visited the Surry County Historical Society and was able to peruse records, though few, of the Clarys. One of the women there turned out to be a distant relative! Small world, indeed. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vaschsm/

On our return trip, we took some time to wander along the shores collecting shells. Those shells are displayed here in my office as a reminder that I walked where they walked.

No comments:

Post a Comment