Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 18, 2017

UPDATED: Bad Things Happen to Good People

Original Post: [Well, I stayed up til 2 Am doing more family history research. I received a message from a family mailing list that I belong to, which led me to do some research. It's my husband's side, the Lindsey line. I received a message saying that a Lindsey was killed early in his life and that his brother-in-law had something to do with his death.
so I checked the family line first to see if I had recorded these particular family names yet; I hadn't. Probably uncles, brothers, or cousins. so I went on line and googled the names. I found a news paper article (Tennessee 1921) describing the very sad events. It was a murder. This poor man (William Lindsey)was trying to encourage his brother-in-law (Marshall Wood)and gave him multiple chances to act but all in vain so when he went to talk to him, the man shot him. Terrible. This murder left a woman, (Nora Wood Lindsey) now widowed, with 6 children to raise on her own and it was her own brother that did the shooting so there goes that relationship.
So now I need to research brothers and uncles and see if this one get attached to my hubby's tree.
That is family history, though sad, it's part of the how a family evolved, why they move, who they remarry, etc. This story, others like it, is way I do genealogy. I love finding clues and bits and pieces of what the past has to say about people. My people. My husband's people. We get to know them even though they may have been dead for a hundred years. It's what keeps me up reading and searching til 2 am.
It's so cool!! We have people!!]

UPDATE:  I don't get to research as much as I use to, you undertand, job, volunteering, etc.  But when I do it is like a kid in a candy store!   


After some research I was able to find the death certificate showing that William Lindsey had died of a gun shot wound.  Death Certificate .
As far as connecting Bill Lindsey, verifiably, that is harder than you think!  Just like the Wheeler family that is buried in the cemetery here where we live, with the pattern of naming children after grandfathers and uncles and brothers, then EVERYONE is a William or a John!  I will keep plugging away, and all of you fellow researchers out there can appreciate this; anticipating the day I can travel and research in person for the hardcopy documents needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment